Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Board Game Story - Monopoly with Grandpa

When I was a kid, my household and I loved to play the Monopoly board game with my grampa. Grampa Perk, short for Percival, was a Monopoly sharp, or so we thought, 'cuz he always acted as if he was taking the game very seriously.

This ordinarily quiet and retiring adult male would actually kick loudly when the game didn't travel his way, and would sulkiness when he lost. It was always us three children against Grampa Perk, and the games were always VERY hard to win.

It didn't happen to me until many old age later that, as difficult as the games were to win, they were always, always, always won by one of us kids. Grampa Fringe Benefit made Monopoly an compulsion with us. When we'd detect an approaching trip to our Grandparent's house, the three of us would discontinue spat and brawling, and set together to begin plotting our strategy. Once we were there, and actually playing, it was all taken very seriously.

Without any of us ever figuring it out, he had us learning through the board game: working our math, reading, and scheme accomplishments as difficult as we could. My small brother, for instance, was "learning disabled" and hated to read. He'd been picked on by instructors and equals about his reading to the point where, if asked to read, he'd just freeze up and be completely not able to sound out even the simplest words, but boy-oh-boy; allow him pick, say, a Community Thorax Card, and suddenly he was willing to carefully fight through every last word.

I hated math, especially multiplication, but you'd never have got known it once I got houses or hotels on my properties. Suddenly, I could make all sorts of cyphers right in my head, and quickly too. And I learned fast that Grampa Fringe Benefit would dispute every single figure I came up with, 'cuz he hated to portion with his pretty Monopoly money.

My sister was the same manner about math, and at one point, we thought we'd assist each other out with our figuring, but oh NO, he wouldn't hear of it! He said he thought it was cheating, and if you couldn't calculate it out on your own, how could you be certain you deserved a penny of it anyway?

We did larn and pattern many scholarly accomplishments while playing with that slippery old sharp, but it'd be a loss to believe that all we picked up was our mathematics and reading skills. What was more than important, I think, were the other intangible assetss we got from playing games with Grampa. We learned to play fair, to win (or lose!) graciously, to inhabit ourselves without having to fall back to television or a computer, enjoying togetherness as sibs and as a family, and to bask the presence of person who was not in our age group.

What was most of import was that we came to understand that one can happen great, pleasant, absorbing amusement in the company of others in a game that, although fiercely competitive, was never less than charmingly polite and enjoyable. I wish more than people had played Monopoly with my Grampa Fringe Benefit when they were kids.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home